Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Guadalupe: A Living Image








A friend of mine recently went on a pilgrimage to the shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Mexico, thinking about his trip brought back memories of my own pilgrimage to the holy site. Whenever I go on a pilgrimage I find I am always eager to learn more once I have left  the shrine.

My theology professor gave me this dvd to watch,which is based on the apparition of The Virgin Mary appearing to Juan Diego in December 1531 in Mexico. Our Blessed Mother tells the peasant to wrap his tilma ( cloak)  with Castilian roses that had miraculously bloomed at the rocks by his feet. Juan Diego goes to his Bishop and when he meets the bishop and opens his cloak an incredible scene is revealed. It is the image of The Holy Virgin impressed upon it.

This documentary runs a little less than an hour and explains in detail the scientific analysis of the 13 figures that have been found in The Holy Mother's eyes. Another detail I was unaware of is that the stars on Mary's cloak are positioned exactly as the night sky would have them on the day of the miracle on De. 12 1531.

Scientists and artists cannot explain the painting technique and how the cloth has managed to stay uncorrupted for five centuries.

The dvd gives a short synopsis of the story and provides an interesting tool for anyone looking to learn more about Our Lady of Guadalupe.

No comments:

Parish Priest "Slams" Parishioner from Pulpit

Fr.Daniel Geddes FSSP, Assistant Superior General. Click on link below to hear full sermon. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OXRfpVaX...